I was really happy with the way my Bourbon Mango Pulled Summer Squash Sandwiches turned out, particularly the sauce. As soon as we were finished eating, I started thinking about other things I could do with it. One of the ideas I had was to make baked beans. It took a little bit of work (and even some math—gasp!) to figure out how to make this recipe turn out right, but I think I succeeded—these are traditional baked beans with a twist! This recipe for Bourbon Mango Slow Cooker Baked Beans is perfect for a summer barbecue or potluck—trust me, it makes enough to feed a small army. Use leftovers to make baked bean sandwiches or Vegetarian Shipwreck Casserole.
Bourbon Mango Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 2 (16 oz) bags dried navy beans
- cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 mango, peeled, diced, and pureed
- 1 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp bourbon
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (1/2 tsp for spicier beans)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak beans overnight in a large bowl (if desired). Drain, rinse, and add to large Dutch oven. Cover beans with water and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and cook for 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cool.
- While beans are cooking, heat cooking spray in a small skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until golden, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Combine onions and beans in slow cooker. Add mango puree, barbecue sauce, water, balsamic vinegar, honey, bourbon, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper and stir until well-combined. Cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours, until sauce has thickened.
Linked up with Veggie Converter Meatless/Vegan Monday and FaveDiets Healthy Hop.
This post was originally published on 18 July 2011.
Credit: Source link