There are few things that feel as comforting as a grilled cheese sandwich. This recipe is adapted from Chrissy Teigen’s classically-loved spicy interpretation of the known favorite, but of course, we’ve transformed it into a vegan delight. Whether you choose to use our favorite vegan cheeses or yours, you cannot go wrong with the crispy, spicy, ooey-gooey goodness. This feel-good, make-everything-better sandwich is the perfect treat after a long day, best served with a blanket on the couch.
Vegan Jalapeño Parmesan-Crusted Grilled Cheese
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 6-10 minutes | Makes 2 servings
4 slices sourdough bread
4 tablespoons vegan butter, softened (can also use vegan mayonnaise)
1 jalapeño, sliced thinly into rings
1 ½ cup finely grated vegan parmesan cheese
1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- On one side of each slice of bread, spread about 2 teaspoons of the vegan butter. Arrange a few jalapeño slices on each buttered slice, pressing down lightly to help them adhere to the bread.
- Place the vegan parmesan in a shallow baking dish (8×8”). (If the parmesan shreds are large, use a knife to chop them finely on a cutting board before using). Working one at a time, press the buttered side with jalapeños down into the parmesan. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet or griddle to medium-low.
- Build the sandwiches by placing two slices of bread in the skillet, parmesan-coated side down, and scattering ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese each on two bread slices. Top each with one slice of bread (the parmesan-crusted side facing up).
- Cover and cook until the underside is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwiches and continue to cook, covered, until the second side is golden brown and the cheese inside is melted and gooey. Move to a wire rack to cool slightly before slicing. Serve immediately.
Notes & Tips:
If vegan Parmesan is not available, any finely shredded vegan cheese substitute will work.
For an even spicier sandwich, swap the shredded cheddar for a vegan shredded pepper jack cheese!
Credit: Source link