This recipe makes a very fresh and spring-y Green Pea, Radish, and Vegan Cheddar Salad that pleases both the eye and the palate. I enjoyed it several times while traveling through some of the heartland states some years (or truthfully, some decades) ago, while still a vegetarian rather than a vegan. Its constant ingredients were the peas, cheese, and celery, with additional, varying ingredients. This is my version, a composite of those that I sampled, and now completely vegan, as it’s easy to substitute vegan cheddar cheese for its dairy counterpart.
Green Pea, Radish, and Vegan Cheddar Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups fresh shelled green peas, steamed (or substitute frozen petit peas, thawed and steamed)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 8 large or 12 smaller radishes, sliced (halve larger ones)
- 1–2 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- mixed baby greens, optional
- Combine all the ingredients except the salt, pepper, and optional greens in a serving bowl and toss well.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Serve at once, mounding each serving over a bed of greens, if desired.
Credit: Source link